I've been playing percussion for years. I started out in middle school mostly playing drums and then switched to mallet percussion. As a young adult, I played in the Pensacola Civic Band, learned marimba solos, and infrequently played in church.
I am mostly self taught, learning from The Goldenberg Books and Stevens "Method of Movement". I mostly use Stevens grip for four-mallet but also can use Burton grip. I also experiment with six-mallet independence.
I primarily focus on mallet percussion, and I enjoy hand drumming and accessory percussion. I have also played drum kit and timpani in concerts and musicals.
I have found that I have a knack for finding and restoring instruments. I have an Inventory of instruments I can use for gigs and loan out. I've been asked on multiple occasions, "Why do you have so many instruments?" The answer is pretty simple—because I want to play them.
You can see my Resume to learn more about my activities. I have no definitive schedule at this time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I may be available for other musical opportunities in the Northwest Florida area.
Here are some topics of percussion that I am interested in:
- Mallet Percussion
- Multi-Mallet Technique
- Hand Drumming
- Instrument Design and Building
- Music Education Advocacy
No definitive schedule at this time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 8notes.com: Free sheet music
- Association of Concert Bands
- Blank Sheet Music .net: Free printable staff paper
- makeamarimba.com and buildavibraphone.com: Purchase building plans for a mallet instruments
- New Horizons International Music Association
- Pensacola Bay Concert Band: Local community concert band
- Pensacola Civic Band: Local community concert band
- Percussive Arts Society
- Petrucci Music Library: Library of public-domain music scores
- Evans Drumheads and Promark Drumsticks
- Jarvis Industries: All-terrain band hardware
- Meinl Percussion and Meinl Cymbals
- Musser Mallets
- Trixon Drums USA
- Vic Firth and Balter Mallets
- Wernick: Xylosynth and Accessories
- Zynthian: Open platform for sound synthesis for Raspberry Pi and Linux
- Gongs Unlimited
- Jim Laabs Music
- Lone Star Percussion
- Music123, Musician's Friend, and Woodwind & Brasswind
- Steve Weiss Music
- Wichita Band Instrument Co
- MuseScore: Music notation program