Wedding trip

Julie and I drove up to Greensboro, NC on Wednesday, July 15 (the 2 year anniversary of us meeting, coincidentally). The drive was mostly uneventful. The cats slept most of the way; they’re getting so much better about traveling as they get older. We ate at a Shoney’s somewhere in Georgia; it was absolutely terrible. We hit stand still traffic on the on-ramp from I77 to I85 in Charlotte, NC. We stayed on that on-ramp for about an hour. We left kind of late, so we got to Greensboro later than we thought we would; however, since we live in Live Oak now instead of Pensacola, the drive to Greensboro now takes 8.5 hours instead of 12 hours. I think we arrived at Julie’s Dad’s house around 8:00 or 8:30. I don’t think we did anything that day other than eat. Thursday, Julie and I went to the court house and picked up out marriage licenses. Not much happened after that other than going to the bank while Julie had some eyebrow work done. Friday, we went to Julie’s grandmother’s place to see her, her mother, and to pick up Lisa S. Lisa, whom I directed many weird faces toward, had flown into Richmond, VA and stayed was brought to Greensboro by Julie’s mom. She brought to our attention that the men in Richmond are dogs. I did want to point out that they wished me a happy birthday by taking me to a dinner and dessert at a nice, quiet Italian restaurant that night, which was pretty awesome. Not much went on Saturday. Julie was supposed to have lunch with her mom alone and come back and go to her bachelorette party that night, but instead she just went straight there after having lunch. I took a couple of hours or so to put together the wedding programs, but after that, I was kind of just alone. I met them after the party was over to say hey to everyone and to sleep. It is a sometimes inconvenient fact that I am unable to sleep without Julie now. If Julie isn’t next to me, I have a tendency to wake up every 10 or 20 minutes looking for her. Sunday was the day before the wedding and was a pretty crazy day. We had a family mixer cookout for lunch. My family, Julie’s families, and the bridesmaids were there. Johnnie had just gotten to the hotel around that time, and Kenny came a little while after. They arrived around 2:00 and 3:00, because the rehearsal was at 4:00. Things got complicated when Brad didn’t make it to the rehearsal; he said he didn’t know about it… Complicated, because then I had to figure out how to handle it at the rehearsal last moment, since the groomsmen had to escort specific people at specific times and tuxes still had to be tried on for the first time for last minute alterations the next morning. The decision was to go with the mom’s suggestion to have one of Julie’s step brothers, Tyler fill in. Then we had the rehearsal dinner… sigh… (Side note: Before and during a wedding, please do not attempt to stress out and/or provoke the already stressed out bride and groom.) The rehearsal dinner was pretty cool. It had good food, and then I passed out the groomsmen’s gift. Late that night we had a "sort  of bachelor party”. Johnnie, Kenny, my brother, and I hung out at the hotel. We didn’t really do anything, but we had some great conversations. I didn’t sleep much that night, and I kind of moved around between the rooms. I think I hung out with my parents and the groomsmen the next day before the wedding. When time came for us to go for pictures, I got kind of lost, since I didn’t know Greensboro, and the directions I was given were incorrect. We were a little late, but it didn’t seem to make any difference. I was very happy with the wedding ceremony. Julie was gorgeous and everything was beautiful. Then came a million photos. Things seemed very disorganized at the reception. No one had told us what to do or where to be, and we had three different people telling us what to do and where to be, and they weren’t all telling us the same things. We walked in, and then we weren’t sure what to do or where to go. We started saying hello to people, but then we were told to sit down. Then we (the groomsmen, bridesmaids, and us) were given food, but someone must have not gotten the memo that the bride and groom and one of the bridesmaids are vegetarians. It was confusing, because I didn’t think we were eating at all at that point and also because we told them we were vegetarians, so I’m not sure what happened. After we ate, we started to say hello to people again, but then we were told to dance, which again was very confusing, because I thought the next step was toast and cake. Julie and I danced and then Julie and her dad danced. People tried to make me ask my mom to dance, but mom had already told me she didn’t want that. Well, since the dance floor was open after that, whenever we did have the cake cutting, no one was paying attention and no one knew we were doing it. I’m not even sure how much cake was eaten at the reception because the order wasn’t right and nothing was announced. After that, we were told to dance to things like the electric slide and junk like that. I did not, because I had said dozens of times before that I didn’t want a bunch of loud music and monkey dancing at the reception; I think it is tacky (and Daniel doesn’t dance). So instead, I decided to ignore the things that were bothering me and walked around and talked to some people and had some cake. I decided to do what I wanted to do and try to have a good time instead of being awkward trying to do things I never do (Daniel doesn’t dance). I have to admit that I was a little relieved when it was all over. Being in crowds of people is taxing on me. I barely slept the night before, and I was exhausted (and starting to get grumpy) by all the events and everything that had happened that day and the day before. Finally getting to be with Julie by ourselves again was great, and I was glad everything was done and finally on paper. I am also very grateful for all the hard work everyone put into everything and love you all!

There are tons of pictures from all these events in the photo gallery. In the next blog, I’ll probably write more about this and talk about the honeymoon. I’m going to sleep.